The Rise of Artisan Analogue Photography



“When you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and White, you photograph their souls!”  Ted Grant known as 'The Father of Canadian Photojournalist'




In this blog I'm going to talk about my love of analogue black and white photography, nothing digital, no computers needed!!

But first I'll tell you about the image above… yes believe it or not it was shot using black and white film! It’s one of my earliest images. I used a red filter which made the red of the KitKat bar lighter in colour and then an artist friend of mine hand painted in the red on my finished print.. Brilliant!

It seems that more and more people are getting the itch to try film cameras and to have the experience of being in a darkroom and to see the wonderment of the image appear in the developing tray.
I can't say I blame them… my love of film cameras began when I watched my Dad with his. I used to follow him taking pictures and then spent hours watching him in the darkroom, of course I got the “Don't touch anything!” but I loved it anyway.

I got my first film camera way back in the 80’s, it was an Olympus OM10 and I had a makeshift temporary darkroom in the kitchen, which went down really well with my wife Pat… I guess this is when I really learnt my craft. I used different ASA film, always Ilford. My favourite thing to do was to over expose film by 1 stop and then “pull” it back when developing. This would give me a good quality, slightly thinner negative, which I could print onto hard grade paper, this gave me nice rich blacks and pure whites.

I'm now lucky enough to own a few film cameras but the one I use the most is a 1959 Twin Lens Rolleiflex 6×6 camera, the type Bailey used when he photographed Jean Shrimpton in the 60’s. It is totally manual, no gadgets and; gizmos so you really have to know what you are doing with it.  It’s a fantastic camera to shoot people and black and white street photography and I’ve done quite a few landscapes with it, it’s very adaptable.

So, now almost 30 years after picking up my first film camera I am very proud to say that I have been chosen to be partnered with the Ilford Analogue Artisan Scheme.  The scheme offers workshops, one to ones, day or weekend courses where you too can have a go shooting film, processing it and then printing. 

Here is a lovely quote from Diane at Ilford Photo:
“Keith Moss is a member of a group of leading UK photographers who support ILFORD PHOTO in presenting Master classes to College Teachers and Lecturers, Students, and Enthusiasts, including competition winners. Keith’s passion for photography and skill level is what drew us his work. We will continue to collaborate with Keith in ongoing future projects” Diane Berry, Sales and Marketing Support Manager – Ilford Photo.

If you would like any information about any of our courses just get in touch by email at info@keithmoss.co.uk or give us a ring on 01287 679655 

Labels: , , ,